The Discovery Center of Springfield has several fun and educational events scheduled in October.
- October 8, 2009 - Science Café' - 6-8pm - 1 Part Science, 1 Part intriguing discussion and 1 part food and drink. This adult only event is free to attend and has limited seating; food and beverage are available for purchase. For more information check DiscoveryCenter website at www.discoverycenter.org.
- October 16, 2009- Science Sprouts Museum Day Topic Plants 9-5pm-Museum Days just for Early Childhood Learners (up to age 6). Includes special free science presentations and science story time geared to young learners. Groups may schedule 30 minute programs for an additional fee. For Kindergarten or 1st grade classes, MOPS groups, day care providers, preschools, playgroups and families. Explore the fun of science and science of fun. General Admission applies.
- Oct. 16, 2009- Robot Workshop-6-8pm. Child and parent build a robot together and plan to take it home. This month robot is Rockit Robot geared for age 8+. Cost is for parent/child duo, plus cost of robot-$15 members/$20 non-members, Robot cost is $25. Pre-registration and pre-payment required.
- October 17, 2009- Discovery Science Club! New for 2009-2010! 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Designed for parents and children to attend as a learning team! Come explore a different topic each month October is Chemistry Concoctions. This club is designed for children ages 6-12 and one accompanying parent! Learn new science, build a project or two, get to see "behind the scenes" areas of the museum or special equipment, and lots moreCost-$20 per member parent/child duo, $25 per non-member parent/child duo. Pre-registration and pre-payment required.
- Oct. 18, 2009 - 1-5pm Celebrate Chemistry Week. Join Drury University Chemistry students with hands-on projects exploring Chemistry. General Admission applies.
- October 22, 2009 - 6-10pmDiscoveryCenter's Adult Rock Band Party and Contest. Doors open at 6:00pm- Contest begins at 6:30pm. Adults 18 and up select your favorite songs and see your character on the big screen. Your character will be judged on score, skill and style. So dress up like your favorite rock star and rock out at DiscoveryCenter's first Rock Band Party. This will be located in DiscoveryCenter auditorium on the big screen. Every style and song will be available for the competition. Admission includes individual participation in the contest and free play and watching fellow gamers. Admission is $10 per person. Food and adult beverages will be available to purchase First Come First Serve for contest slots.
- October 23, 2009 - Star Party (5-8 p.m.)
- October 30, 2009 - 6-10pm Halloween Night at the Museum-Cost-$5 per person (non-members) Members-free. Dress up, and experience a Halloween Night at the Museum DCS style! Watch out for skeletons, flaming pumpkins, fizzing concoctions, slimy stuff, and other surprises!
DiscoveryCenter is open Tuesday-Thursday 9am-5pm, Friday 9am-8pm, Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 1-5pm. Admission is free to members and children 2 & under. $9.00 adults, $8.00 seniors and $7.00 children (3-15).
For more exciting events in Missouri visit the Top Events USA page of top events and festivals in Missouri at http://www.topeventsusa.com/state-events-missouri.html